Monday 4 June 2007

It's tea time!

Yesterday I took part in an interesting project which was called „International Tea“. It was an afternoon meeting for students, alumni and members of the university staff whose purpose was to encourage cross-cultural exchange. I got to know that it's organized every semester. This was the 16th time if I'm not mistaken.
As it turned out the students who came there were only foreigners. You can imagine how colourful, how multicultural it looked like in the ballroom in the Mozartstraße. People there were just supposed to meet each other, say something about their experiences as foreign students and let it develop in a natural way… I kind of got confused at the end, because I had to speak four languages within two hours which was quite an effort for my poor brain. The best side of this project was that I finally found a conversation partner whose mother language is Russian. Honestly I didn’t have any difficulties understanding him (this isn’t the biggest achievement in the world since you know that Russian and Polish sound a bit similar), but I could hardly utter any Russian words myself (which really bothers me:( Now I can practice my Russian with him in the summer!

However, it wouldn’t be the purpose of this blog if I didn’t s mention my activities in English. Yesterday I did communicate in English as well. What is more, I gave some tips to a nice elderly American as to where he can go to meet other native speakers. He told me he didn’t really like German and missed conversations in English. Now I hope I could help him!

No comments: