Friday 15 June 2007

The European circus continues


I can’t help it; it will be about my mother country once again. Honestly, I was trying very hard to find an interesting article, first on the Economist’s site, then on www.euronews.net. And what were the results of my efforts? Poland is in every top headline. That’s because we’re currently the biggest troublemakers in the EU;). Nevertheless, I found it hilarious once again to watch my favourite Polish president of all times – Lech Kaczynski in action(well, maybe only Walesa can contend with him for the prize for the most ridiculous key public figure). What I watched was a clip on www.euronews.net - “Sarkozy woos Poles over EU charter”. It showed the new French president visiting Warsaw. What struck me most were Sarkozy’s hand gestures during the press conference. He just confirmed a well know stereotype that Frenchmen have a strong body language. What is more, the Frenchman was making such funny faces while Kaczynski was speaking that I couldn’t help laughing. His face expression said it all: “What kind of f…… crap are you talking about?”

The main issue is Poland’s threat not to sign the new EU reform. Sarkozy was persuading the Polish president not to do so. By the way, which country was among three ones that didn’t sign the previous draft of the EU constitution? Poland? A wrong answer! France? Bull's-eye! Unfortunately under the present conservative government we have a slim chance to reach an agreement with the EU, which I thoroughly despair of. However, one week from now an important EU summit is taking place and the EU countries' representatives will try to make progress on the future EU constitution. Good luck!

1 comment:

Claire said...

Ha hahahahaha :D I'm with you on this one! I do wonder why our brand new president keeps moving around like a possessed madman, and pulling faces all the time. But well. He won. I guess I should start doing the same right now, on my way to becoming the master of the world... :D