Thursday 29 March 2007

Living in Graz

Inspired by Astrid's story about her flatmates, I decided to describe my own experiences in Graz. First of all you have to know that I'm quite pleased of changing places which means that I could move to a new shared flat just every six months. The reason is that I like living in different districts, I like the sheer process of getting used to new surroundings where you can always explore so much and I enjoy making new friends (because I always assume that my new flatmates should become my friends;). What's more, I just adore "collecting" new addresses in Graz which might sound strange. Well, isn't it altogether just a pure expression of my affection for Graz?

Anyway, the first flat I moved in was almost perfect. At that time I even didn't know that I'd live just 5 min. by foot from our institute. Wittekweg, where it was situated, was a 100 m flower strip with quiet neighbours and a friendly caretaker. From one side the street was closed by building walls, separating it from St Leonhard Street and on the other side a narrow river was greeting you at the bend at the entrance. If you add to it that the supermarket and the bakery was opposite your house, you had two tram lines to pick from, an indoor swimming pool 200 m away, you could watch squirrels playing in the trees the first thing in the morning and your flatmate was the most friendly, communicative, reliable and motivating person in the world, you get a perfect picture of how life can go. Unfortunately I wasn't to stay there more than 6 months, because my flatmate graduated and came back to Germany, and a nice family took over our flat. Apropos Sebastian, my flatmate, I really owe him a lot. He was my most patient German teacher who could listen to me for hours, used to correct me when I was making mistakes and praise me when I was making some progress. I'll save the memory of him for my whole life... (at this point I always become sentimental)

Anyway, after leaving Wittekweg and St Leonhard I got a place in a dorm which I thought at that time could be an interesting social experience and the most affordable option. To my misfortune I didn't inform myself exactly what would expect me there. For most people who study in Graz the name of this dorm says all, namely... Hafnerriegel. Yes, the town's "skyscraper" which has become a kind of Balkan ghetto recently. I feel sorry most of all for unaware Erasmus students who are probably assigned to such locations by their exchange supervisors. Poor fellows arrive and are close to tears when they see the state of their room, mould in the bathroom and a filthy kitchen, abandoned already by the previous generation. Honestly, I felt the same. There's not much to tell apart from me living only with men once again. One of them was an Australian guy which I thought might be useful for my oral English practise, but unfortunately he turned out to be uncommunicative. Well, bad luck. After all I stayed only for 3 months (it must be a record ;) and left Graz for the summer.

When I came back in October I was desperately looking for a place to stay and accepted the first offer I got. It means that I'm sitting in a tiny 9 m2 room at the moment, having a view at the grey, communist style Augarten Hotel. Without doubts it's not the most beautiful picture, but at least I can spy on hotel guests having relaxing time in the swimming pool, because this indoor swimming pool is exactly what I can see from my window. Although it's a kind of degradation to exchange Wittekweg's conveniences (among others an opportunity to go for a swim for real) for fantasies about what would be if I were one of the hotel guests, it's still better than Hafnerriegel (I always try to look for some bright sides of life ;). However, when the northern wind blows, I'll be ready to change my place once again...

5 comments:

Birgit said...

I really know what you're talking about... I lived in a dorm as well( I stayed a year though) and after two weeks I realised that I'll have to get out of there...
The people were great, but that's it for positive things that can be said about it... Bathroom? Horrible. Kitchen? Horrible. Storage? I can't even describe it...

So I left in June, and now live in a beautiful flat with great people...
So good luck for your next place to stay ;)

Sim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sim said...

Hey Natalia!

I enjoyed reading your "Living in Graz" story very much, especially the part about Hafnerriegel. It made me laugh so much. Poor girl. I'm very sorry that you had to experience this but I can assure you there's worse.

When I think about my first dorm ... well, it wasn't that lucky a choice either. I think this one's just as well known as Hafnerriegel...E-Heim! It's a ramshackle building & famous for strange "inhabitants".

I had to leave that madhouse cause I was close to getting depressed and anormal ;-)

Schönbrunnheim is great! I love it and to answer your question - oh by the way: thanks a lot for your comment - whether I still share my room with another person: NO, and I 'm very happy about that cause would have gone crazy. I liked my roommate a lot cause she's my best friend but spending 24 hours a day in a tiny little room where you can easily get claustrophobic....oh no, that doesn't work.

Okay, that's it! Have fun collecting more Graz-adresses ;-)

Charlotte Williams said...

Hey Natalia!

I really liked reading your post about "Living in Graz". It made me a bit scared though. I pretend to go to Graz to study and now i'm not so shure....also I only speak english. I do not speak german at all. Do you think Graz is a dangerous place to go alone? Also, do you think that not speaking german is a problem...i mean...a big problem??? obviously i'm tinking about learning....but i have less than a year...

Please answer!!!

Love,

Charlotte

maria said...

hi there !
i have accidentally read your post about living in Graz. I´m going next year as an erasmus student in Karl univdersity.
I have a little question.. where did you live?
THAM YOU VERY MUCH!
lovely and nice post !