Monday 23 April 2007

Fascinated by a peg; dreaming of a perfect day

This is the last night before our progress test. I know I should be studying for tomorrow, but a strong need to write suddenly totally overwhelmed me. Reading Pam Mandel’s blog I came across a collocation I’ve really taken to, namely “a square peg (in a round hole)”. According to Longman Dictionary the above describes “someone who is in a job or situation that is not suitable for them”. I can’t exactly explain my liking for a square peg. On the one hand I just often feel like one and on the other hand it sounds so bizarre to my Polish ears that I just have to memorize it. Do you know in what other meanings the word “peg” can be used

Clothes peg (UK)

Tent pegTuning pegCoat peg (UK)

Bettina, you really deserve the highest score for your idea with adding pictures to words. It definitely helps.

I was just wondering when I’ll have my perfect day. Honestly, I came to the conclusion I don’t need much to be happy apart from a little time to enjoy my simple activities. This is how such a day would look like…

I’d get up at 7.30 a.m. since I’m an early bird and don’t like missing much of the day. Then I’d fetch my daily newspaper, preferably Der Standard, go to the kitchen and make some fresh coffee. Taking my time I’d prepare a simple cheese sandwich and settle myself in the armchair. Then I’d skip through the news of the day and slowly eat my breakfast knowing that I still have enough time to be at the university on time. Having dressed and packed my bag I’d take my bike and head for the university with no rush. After a very involving and easily understandable lecture on the wealth of nations I’d go to the library and study for an hour or two. Next, I’d take a stroll to the cafeteria and have lunch with my best friend. Once again I’d take my time and simply devote myself to enjoying the food, preferably noodles. Still having some time in my hands I’d call in on my friend for a celebration of the dessert I got at the cafeteria. Having exchanged the most important news with her I’d go to the next lecture or, let it be, even two lectures. Afterwards I’d persuade my boyfriend to play a round of Frisbee with me in the park. At 6.00 p.m. I’d go to work, stay there for four hours, confront friendly customers and get generous tips. At the end of the day I’d go back to my claustrophobic flat and study a little bit for the next day. Then I’d take a shower, go to bed and fall asleep accompanied by heavenly sounds of Portishead.

Is it a lot I want? Just a little time, please…


1 comment:

google adsence said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.