Thursday 26 April 2007

How good are we really?

http://www.economist.com/index.html

“The Economist” is definitely a newspaper you should have a look at. Don’t feel discourage by the world “economist”- the articles are not all about banks, mergers, stock markets, etc. I came across this title reading an article in “Uni Kleine Zietung” about bilingualism of many international students and their good chances on the international job markets. Unfortunately I couldn’t read the whole version in the Internet, because you have to subscribe to gain access to older articles, but it doesn’t apply for the more recent ones. Anyway, below you can find a kind of summary of what I read in “Kleine Zeitung” and my reflections upon it.

It’s becoming more and more common nowadays that university graduates from non-English speaking countries have a perfect command of this language in addition to their impeccable qualifications. This fact makes them become strong competitors for the best jobs against native English speakers. What the others don’t have is knowledge of a foreign language. A survey made last year by the European Commission that just 30% of Britons can converse in a language other than their own which is rather a meagre score. Non-natives are in contrast often competent bilinguals, people with open minds who are used to travelling abroad and facing challenges.

However, English in the language of science. You read and write in English if you want to be acknowledged by the international scene. In this context English speaking scientists have nothing to fear, but what about managers, doctors, architects, etc.?

This topic made me consider my own future job perspectives. Is two (let’s say three in my case) foreign languages enough for us, translators, to get a decent job? Honestly, I don’t believe that each of us will work in their profession. To my mind only the best ones or the ones with the most luck will become “real” translators. The others will have to settle for some more “universal” jobs they’ll have to combine more skills in. That’s why I’m already uneasy about what will happen after graduation. Maybe it’ll be sensible to study something else in addition? As an example I’d like to tell you a story of my cousin who had not so long ago a job interview at one of the most reputable banks in Poland. She, a law graduate with a good command of both English and German and four (or five – I can’t exactly remember) years of work experience, was told that I’d desirable I she could speak Russian as well. After I got to know it I just thought to myself: are you kidding? When are you supposed to manage it all? After all she didn’t get this job…

No comments: