Wednesday 11 April 2007

How about a pint of Guinness?

Staying in Dublin you just have to visit the Guinness Museum. Spending too much time in Victorian galleries and museums or admiring Georgian doors and St Patrick’s Cathedral makes you feel dizzy after some time. Then you should head for Guinness Storehouse (which is its official name) and get yourself a three-hour tour of the highest quality. Lots of foreigners I met in Ireland were saying to me they didn’t like porter beer. But it’s not only about beer, but much more about the Irish spirit! The museum itself is situated in an industrial district, in a brewing factory. The whole point is explaining the production of Guinness from every angle. Adequately we get to know step by step how the beer is brewed, which machines and techniques are used in this process, how it’s advertised and where Irish pubs in the world are located. The exhibition takes place over 7 floors. And in the last floor we get our free pint of Guinness we are entitled to with the purchase of the ticket. I made the most of it and even poured my pint by myself and got a certificate for this crowning achievement;). What is more, the panoramic view from the 7th floor was majestic! It’s just that you have to be able to appreciate the beauty of industrial buildings and smokestacks…;) Anyway, I can honestly say that it was one of my brightest memories from Ireland and my boyfriend even claimed that Guinness doesn’t taste the same outside of Ireland.

http://www.guinnessstorehouse.com/

No comments: